Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Sarah's New Friend

The term RESPITE CARE as taken from HERE says: 

Respite Care: Temporary or short-term home care of a child that is provided, either for pay or on a voluntary basis..... which is designed to give the parents some time away from the child, and even the child some time away from the parents, to allow them to emotionally recharge and become better prepared to handle the normal day-to-day challenges of parenting.

I'll admit that when the idea first came up, I resisted it and part of me wanted to deny the opportunity for respite. I had some long heart to heart talks with Doug, his mom and my girlfriends and everyone encouraged me to go for it. As it turned out, someone that I know from church sent me a Facebook message saying that she does respite care and would be interested in working with Sarah. We agreed to two mornings a week which would allow me to get some extra housework done and spend those two hours with the older three kids. This way, Sarah is kept safe and entertained and the older ones are receiving more uninterrupted attention from me. 

Sarah L-O-V-E-S Shaneen. The two of them play for two non-stop hours and Sarah enjoys every minute of it! 

I also find that Sarah is much calmer afterwards and since I have done the school time with the kids, I am able to focus on her in the afternoons. 

It's interesting to see things fall into place...

1 comment:

  1. I also felt bad thinking about calling respite in when Silas was a baby. But I'm so glad it's working out for you! BTW, I just nominated you for the beautiful mama award! http://alanaterry.blogspot.com/2013/05/what-i-love-about-motherhood-beautiful.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails