Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

This particular Sunday of each year fills me with so many ups and downs. I travel the emotional roller coaster all day, experiencing joyous highs and tearful lows. It'll begin with a sweet kiss from my 'baby' as she declares she is hungry. At 6:45 in the morning. And then a warm hug from each of my older kids who are getting taller by the day. 

Then I'll read a Facebook post about a friend who is spending the day with her mom. And I'm not. And once again I'm caught off guard by the tears that threaten to slide down my cheeks. I cry at the unfairness of not being able to celebrate with the woman who I called "Mom" for 23 years. 

Today was spent with my sister and her family. Another mom that I love with all my heart. We were surrounded by our husbands and kids... All who love us both so much. We're planning to head to a park, barbecue hot dogs and hang out before Doug, the kids and I make the trek back home. 

At one point, no one was in the house but me and as I was looking at a picture of my mom, the tears forced their way out again. It's been almost 14 years since she left this earth and although I've learned to deal with the grief differently, it still hurts. A lot. 

I married a man who has an amazing mother. Even though she has never tried to take my mom's place, she has done a wonderful job of being there for me. Our relationship has gotten stronger as I've gotten older and I value the times we spend together. Plus, she's an amazing grandma!

Today is a day that holds a lot of different feelings. I will have fun with my own kids and I also don't think there's anything wrong with me taking some time to be sad. 

Happy Mother's Day to all my mom readers. Have a wonderful day!





1 comment:

  1. It's a hard day for a lot of people and lots of people don't realize it! So sorry you miss your mom so much. I'm sure she would be so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails