Friday, August 10, 2012

Five Minute Friday {08.10.12}

Ok, so this might take me longer than five minutes to write and more than five minutes to read but we'll see how I do.

Today was a day full of mixed up feelings.  I woke up early for a bike ride with Danyel.  Even though I had kind of hoped it was raining, I was glad to have gotten out and spent some time with her.  I brought my older two kids to the doctor and when I went to pick up the little girls from Karen's, she invited me in and we had a good chat over a coffee.  I am so blessed by their friendship and am truly thankful for both of them. 

I had been eagerly anticipating a visit from my sister this afternoon.  It had been over a week since I saw her in Calgary and was really looking forward to seeing her.  We spent hours pouring over old family photo albums and reminisced about our matching outfits, beautiful dresses that our Oma made, the furniture in the old house and even the toys we played with.  It was fun to *find* our children in us when we were little and I think we both agreed that Lucy and Alicia resemble each other the most.  We shared a yummy dinner and it seemed that all too soon, she had to head out. I hate saying good bye, knowing that this time, it will be a few weeks (at least) before we hang out again.  I work really hard at being the in-control, grown up big sister but in the quiet of my house, I tend to fall apart. It's just been a big adjustment from seeing each other weekly, to visiting only once (maybe twice) a month.  I am so thankful that our parents encouraged us to be best friends, in addition to sisters.  What a blessing that has been in our adult life.

What a couple of cuties we were!

Today I read a beautiful blog from The Unplugged Family.  She talks about a lovely visit with her mom and it made me miss mine.  A lot.  All the things that I haven't had the opportunity to share with her.  My friends, my kids, my problems, my tears, my joys. Today I found this:

She Is Gone 
You can shed tears that she is gone
Or you can smile because she has lived
You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left 
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
Or you can be full of the love that you shared 
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday 
You can remember her and only that she is gone
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what she would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

~David Harkins~

So this day was kind of like a roller coaster.  Lots of ups and downs.  I love people.  I love being with those I love.  Family & friends.  I thank God for each and every one of those that He has place in my life.  You all have a special place in my heart.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails