Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Goldfish Crackers

I had recently seen a link for homemade goldfish crackers.  You know those crazy addictive cheese flavored crackers?  So good!  Anyhow, I thought to myself, "I'm creative and like to try new things, let's give them a try."  I used the recipe from FOODBUZZ and set out to make them.  Let me first say, the best part about this is that you very likely have the five ingredients in your house right now.  So here's the recipe:

1 cup Flour
4 Tbsp Butter, room temperature
8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
3/4 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp cold water

1. Pulse everything together in the food processor until it resembles coarse sand.
2. Pulse in water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minute.
4. Roll out dough, and cut into desired shape. You can use a toothpick to make the eyes and smile if desired.  Place on lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until crispy.



Now I'm sure you're wondering how I made those fish shapes... I saw the instructions for this on Miss. Anthropist's Kitchen.  All you need is a pair of sharp scissors, some tape or stapler and a pop can.  Here's the instructions for that:

  1. Draw outline of goldfish on a piece of paper for reference. (Mine was about an inch in length)
  2. Take an empty soda can and cut through it horizontally using a sharp knife.
  3. Using your scissors, cut a strip of metal from the soda can (it should be the circumference of the soda can).
  4. Straighten edges with scissors
  5. Using your goldfish paper template, determine how big the head will be and fold both sides outwards accordingly. Don’t fold too harshly or the strip will break. If this happens, just cut off another strip and start again.
  6. Using your template, determine when to fold the tail. Make sure the end of the tail overlaps at some point, and cut off the excess strip if necessary.
  7. Staple or tape or glue the ends of the tail together. (I used tape over the tail).
  8. For more safety, you may put a protective layer of tape over the top part of the fish (the non-cookie cutting side where you’ll be applying the pressure) as a protection against the metal when cutting. 
My tips:
* I'd add a touch more salt.  I just like salty foods.  I'd also probably add a touch of garlic or onion salt for a bit more flavor.
* Make sure the dough is rolled out quite thin, otherwise you have very thick crackers
* I didn't store them air tight because I didn't want them soft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails