Sunday, September 6, 2009

Anne of Green Gables


My love for Anne of Green Gables began years ago when CBC TV first aired it in 1985. I would have been nine years old. My parents had recorded it on a VHS tape player and my sister and I watched it to the point of wearing the tape out. I don't remember the year but I do remember opening a shared Christmas present from Mom and Dad which was a boxed set of the Anne of Green Gables movie and sequel. Four videos... without the annoying Christmas commercials that we'd come to know by heart. Oh the joy of watching them over and over to the point of memorization and recitation for example- "Chrysanthemum: C-H-R-Y-S-A-N-T-H-E-M-U-M". I will never forget how to spell that word simply because of the many times of watching.
Just a couple years ago, I bought a three DVD set that included the first movie, Sequel and the Continuing Story. Today my daughter Andrea and I are having an Anne marathon. We started last night with the first one and three hours later, we are onto the sequel. How fun to snack on popcorn and pop and watch a show that I grew up with. The only thing missing is my sister. I think the next time we do this, she'll have to come over and watch with us. It will be even better when Arianna, Sarah and her Lucy are all old enough to watch with us. We'll send the boys on a hike or camp out or something 'manly' like that and us girls will have an Anne-fest! How much fun that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails